Monday, March 25, 2019

While I Was Out

When I learned of my heart condition fifteen months ago, my perspective on life contracted to the point where it only took in the present moment and my next doctor’s appointment. When that happened, I found it very difficult to write, although I certainly tried.

Now that I am on my way back to the land of the living, my perspective is slowly returning to normal, and the experience is quite remarkable. It feels as if I’ve been sleepwalking for the past year or so, and am now just waking up. That may be a trite way to put it, but it does have the virtue of being entirely accurate.

Here’s one example of what’s been happening in my brain: one day a few weeks ago, I walked into my study, looked around, and said to myself, “Gee, I haven’t straightened up in here for a while.” I suddenly took note of the fact that every horizontal surface, including the floor, was piled high with randomly-distributed miscellaneous items. I could hardly make my way into the room.

I consulted my renascent memory, and determined by the stratification of the piles that I had abandoned the room sometime during last July. I immediately began to put things in order, and in the process found a great many important items that had been missing for months, such as my checkbook.

That’s how it’s been for me the past several weeks. My world has come back into focus, allowing me at last to see just how deep a hole I am in after my long hibernation. I’ve begun to catch up on the most pressing of my long-disregarded chores, and have been conducting triage on the rest of them.

In this process, it has dawned on me that I need to bring you all up to date regarding all the positive changes that have occurred at the Farm House, and elsewhere in our domain, during the past two-and-a-half years. I can’t really begin posting in earnest about current events until I do this.

And so I shall, with the next several posts.

* * *

"Don't forget about me."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't let the "Comment as" dropbox annoy you:
Simply choose "Anonymous," and no one will check your papers.
Feel free to leave your name in the comment if you'd like.
I will be moderating the comments to keep out the spam.